Monday, June 7, 2010

Bonnie

Happy Birthday Bonnie........today my Bonnie turns 8 years old...she is such a good dog...an Australian shepherd blue merle..wonderful temperament.....except that she has been barking at dear husband when he gets home for 5 years... LOL I think she had a bit of trauma in her life before we got her...
A little story about how things are not always as they seem...Husband of mine was familiar with a couple that raise these dogs from some business he did with them on their house. When my Boxer died and my life was falling apart and I was grieving about Mama, he went to talk to her about getting me a dog...It took some persuading on his part for me to agree to such a big dog...I had a Jack Russel at the time..We went and met her and brought her home for a month long trial...she was 3 years old at the time.....the rest is history...I loved her from the beginning and she has been my faithful companion ever since..Daisy, the Jack Russel died the next year and we grieved together..We decided to breed her so I had a lot to do to get her ready...eyes checked, hips checked, strict diet to lose weight, always up to date on everything.....this went on for 2 years and then we were ready..I was being advised by the breeder that we got Bonnie from....the first breeding was not successful..all the waiting for nothing...the second breeding 6 months later WAS successful and she had a litter of ONE puppy.. :-) Well, I was not satisfied with that...A year later when she was ready I was insistent with the breeder that was helping to choose a mate that I wanted to breed her again..she didn't want to do it but I INSISTED...and we took Bonnie to the home of Taylor to be bred again. then the wait began..she was INDEED pregnant this time and had a litter of 8 puppies...one was stillborn and there were 7 magnificent puppies...It was one of the most thrilling days of my life..a long awaited litter of puppies...Bonnie has a long pedigree and her husband has an even longer one so these were very special puppies...
To make a long story short...we raised them and they were a whole lot more trouble than we ever imagined they would be..but oh, the joys of having so many dogs was absolutely wonderful.....as they grew and it was apparent they were great dogs I was kinda naive but the breeder was not...
When we got Bonnie and the price was set, the breeder never accepted our money or had any contract, and I told her on many occasions how much I appreciated her giving me such a wonderful dog and how generous she had been to do this for me...many times...she always just smiled..
When it came time to sell the pups, things started to get squirelly with her...I was the pups owner and was supposed to be at least half breeder...we paid all the expenses for all those years and they were mine..Bonnie is my dog....
I let her have 2 pups and sold 2 more..then she told me she owned Bonnie and the litter too. and that we had an agreement which we never had one..and when she registered the litter, she listed herself as breeder on the papers...totally cutting me out of my own dog's pups....well, after some deliberation back and forth we ended up keeping 3 pups from the litter...there is a lot more but this is sounding nit picky.....
The lesson learned here is this...things are not always as they seem...check things out and in situations like this, get a contract...get an agreement up front...don't take things for granted...it's amazing to me how people can look you straight in the eyes and lie to you...I am learning to listen to my heart...
I am the breeder of these puppies and the owner of their mama, Bonnie...Two of the pups are already winning AKC shows and another is involved with dock diving and agility..exceptional pups...I am glad that I insisted on breeding her this time last year...Aug 2, 2010 they will be a year old...thanks to Bonnie for all the joy she has given me...
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, Is Anybody Out There?

  Sometimes I wonder if there is even any interest in my blog anymore.  If anybody would read it if I wrote again.  Well, if you are out the...