Friday, February 20, 2015

Winter Storm

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words...such is the case this morning....

Beautiful but destructive.....














These are all of the pictures I took because I had to put the camera in the house and get to work..
We have a long way to go in getting this cleaned up....the oak tree that has been the focal point of our backyard landscape is no longer healthy and we have to take the whole thing down...  Two enormous limbs broke and fell during the ice storm and caused all the damage to our roof and deck... I am very thankful for homeowner's insurance to pay for some of it...

I am trying to look on the bright side.  I will have a whole new view of the backyard and will get to learn a lot about gardening in sun..   First I will have to dig up most of a perennial bed and move it so the tree surgeon and his crew can drive their truck where my beloved daylilies now live..  Hoping for warmer weather so I can get started on the digging...

And I know that this is minor compared to what lots of you are experiencing with this winter weather.
This is just unusual for Georgia to be so cold...and our first damaging icestorm since we bought this house 12 years ago...

Well, such is life.. As I have heard...I surely have my work cut out for me for this spring...but I'm not complaining.  Change is good even if it comes on so suddenly...

Hope you are safe and warm..

Love, Mona


7 comments:

  1. Oh Mona, I feel for you and am sorry for you being on the receiving end of Mother Nature's wrath. We lost power for about 4 hrs this am, long enough for one water line to freeze. With another storm on the way tonight, including ice, I fear for the worst. Glad you are not bodily harmed.
    Rita C at Panoply

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are being so philosophical and, really, that may be the best approach. It is sad to see all the damage at your place and to think of all the work ahead. May good things come of it! In the meantime, you have my sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you have such a mess to clean up. Hope you get it done without finding lots of hidden damages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear of your damage. I am from the Pacific NW and every time I see something on the news I give out a prayer. When we have snow the people live their cars in the middle of the freeway and just start walking. It is a good thing we do not get snow very often. ( but I would like snow on Christmas, that is the "kid" in me)So I will be praying for you and your family. The oak tree on the deck shows signs of age and got from the color of the inside trunk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On Mona, I am so sorry that you had so much damage. Thank God that no one was hurt or the house feel down. The pictures really show the destruction that "Old Man Weather" has been giving everyone.
    Take care of yourself and don't kill your self doing the clean up.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mona, I had no idea of the extent of your damage. I am so sorry! Ice storms are horrible. We used to live on a street called Pine Valley Road with a million (slight exaggeration!) on it. I remember staying awake all night once, during an ice storm, because our pines were creaking and cracking. I was so afraid that one would fall on the house, during the night. Fortunately, that did not happen and, when we built our new house, we cut down all of the pine trees that might have been close to the house. Good luck in the spring and let me know, about planting in the sun. My back yard is full of it and so many plants do not like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! We had tons of snow and frozen pipes, but not this. Prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, Is Anybody Out There?

  Sometimes I wonder if there is even any interest in my blog anymore.  If anybody would read it if I wrote again.  Well, if you are out the...