Friday, August 24, 2012

Joy in the Pea Patch

Oh the joys of having my very own pea patch.....southern peas....

For years I was sad that I couldn't find any good quality southern peas to buy....and then...about 2 years ago...I envisioned my very own pea patch...just till up a few rows alongside the garden fence and sow some seeds....it would be easy...and I am telling you..it has far outdone my expectations....  and the joy I get while I pick peas is amazing....one of the best and most favorite parts of my whole garden is this silly little pea patch......I grow them because I WANT TO!    I LIKE peas!   lots of peas and it is very rewarding to grow my own food........

Is there something that you like or want to do but you keep putting it off or not thinking it is possible?   like the old saying..'where there is a will, there is a way'...it works..truly it does....if you have the desire for something, you can usually find the way to make it happen.......

so

HAPPY PEA PICKING!!!!!

in whatever area your desires are






I love the whole process.....shelling peas is so relaxing to me...and I really really enjoy doing it.  it brings back memories of when I was a little girl...sitting in front of the TV watching I Love Lucy (not the reruns, mind you)
in the air conditioned family room in the morning at my house......

My Mama wouldn't let us watch TV during the day but this was one way I could get around that rule...if I was shelling peas or butterbeans......

So I developed my love of shelling early in life....anything to stay in that air conditioned house...LOL..and it didn't turn me off to gardening..it actually trained me in a lot of ways...

There were a lot of things that I was made to do around the house , but I love making a home so it was more about giving me a chance to do what I would eventually do on my own....but most of my friends thought I had to do too much of the household work......maybe I did...but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise...I still do NOT like to clean house though...I like the pretty parts...the artsy things about homemaking...well, enough about all of this.......


aren't these a beautiful sight?  ended up with about a quart of shelled peas from just a few short rows in my garden...next year, I am planting even more......

JOY, JOY, JOY


thanks for coming along with me to the pea patch today..

I hope you will come again soon..

Mona









3 comments:

  1. Mona, they are pretty pretty PEAS. I remember many a day sitting on my Mama's porch shelling peas. After I started working in the hospital there was no more time for shelling and I have not since. Have a bite for me. xoxo, Olive

    p.s. I am growing some of those wee pumpkins in my compost pile as volunteers, and tomatoes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bet you never dreamed your pea patch post would make someone cry.....couldn't help it when I thought about sitting my my mom and grandparents, shelling peas, the tears just welled up....
    I too love peas. My favorite was granddaddy's crowder peas! Oh my, so delicious. It's hard to find crowders around here. And then there were his speckled butter beans. He had the most wonderful garden. We ate well....ha

    Your peas are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to tell you, I pinned your cranberry molds and am looking forward to making them for the holidays. They are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, Is Anybody Out There?

  Sometimes I wonder if there is even any interest in my blog anymore.  If anybody would read it if I wrote again.  Well, if you are out the...