Thursday, August 2, 2012

Heirlooms are my reward

My heirloom tomatoes are getting ripe now..It is one of the main reasons I grow a garden...

 my tomatoes...

I have been putting tomato plants into the ground for about......hmmmmmm....... 4 decades now......wow that is a long time..and when I discovered the heirloom varieties about 15 years ago, I was hooked...Brandywine was my first..then Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, Black from Tula, Mortgage Lifter, Box Car Willie, Caspian Pink, Matt's Wild Cherry and the list goes on..and each year I look for more varieties....some of them are HUGE and some of them are tiny but the flavor is outstanding...much better than the hybrids.....

So, for the next week or so, we will be eating the best tasting tomatoes of the year...



aren't they beautiful?


heading out to the garden early before the sun gets too hot....but the mosquitoes are fierce right now...



mountain mint..the smell is kin to peppermint....and the flowers dry really well...


finally caught the true color of this crepe myrtle...gorgeous..


I truly do love my little farmhouse.....just what I always wanted.....Will is already putting claims on this house as his own inheritance...  grin...


and last but not least......

.a true picture of what my garden looks like right now...we have had so much rain...
yes, thank You, Lord....and the weeds are getting an upper hand on me right now...seemingly overnight they have taken over...so I now have my work cut out for me..clear out some of this so I can get the fall garden planted..this is the worst of it..some of the beds are still producing eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, beans, okra and flowers...of course, flowers.....


maybe sometime in the next month I will be able to show you an after picture of this.....but just in case you might think I was a perfect gardener....hahahaha...this is reality, folks...  life is all about perspective..and when I hold the camera, I can adjust it to bypass the weeds.....

I am so glad you stopped by..I appreciate each and every one of you..I am amazed that you keep coming by.

thank you

Mona

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for showing your garden...weeds and all. Lol!

    Heirlooms are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, Is Anybody Out There?

  Sometimes I wonder if there is even any interest in my blog anymore.  If anybody would read it if I wrote again.  Well, if you are out the...