Thursday, October 6, 2011

Hidden Treasure

Most of the things in my house have a story behind them....so that means there are a lot of stories in this house ....
because there are a lot of things....these things do not hold my heart but there are lots of memories and sometimes just a glance at an inanimate object brings back the memory of a special someone and their smile or their touch..and that usually brings a smile to my lips....so most of this stuff serves a purpose...to trigger a memory.. and cause me to pause and think of them...and what they have meant to me......
so, this is just such a story....I hope you enjoy it......

After my mama died, there was the dividing of her rings and giving them to me and my sister...my brother had already gotten his ring from daddy on his 30th birthday...but I digress...anyway....there were 2 rings and 2 girls..I had always wanted the ring that had belonged to my Grandmother Lewis but the question arose and instead of causing an argument over it, I said I would take either one...and then I prayed....I wanted Grandmother's ring..
When my Daddy handed me the ring much later...it was the very one I had prayed for....my Grandmother's ring..there was a lot of history and heritage that came along with it...she was the oldest daughter and I am the oldest daughter..and my daughter is the oldest granddaughter.. I think of her whenever I look at the ring that she wore on her hand for so many years...and then my mama wore it too until her death...

Imagine the surprise when I was visiting with daddy and he said I have something I might as well give to you because it was your Grandmother's rings.....he handed me a little box and inside were these absolutely exquisite rings.....her wedding band and the original wedding ring.....

this is a picture of the carved engagement ring from around 1910  or so....
mand here is the prat of the story I just love..after all I am a romantic at heart and I love a good romance story..especially if it is true and I know the people involved...

Grandmother's daddy gave her a diamond and she had a new ring made..she took the diamond from her engagement ring , along with an additional matching diamond and the one her daddy gave her and had a new ring made..the one I always saw her wearing...

my grandmother's engagement ring

heirloom rings
her platinum wedding band
to know the story behind something makes it so much more valuable than the thing itself.....
Here is a family heirloom that I had no idea even existed until a few years ago....it is one of my favorite pieces along with my very own wedding band......
the new set
Here is the moral of this story..there are some things in life that we have no idea about...there are gifts beyond our imagination....surprises too good to be true but they are TRUE........


This is the story about a ring, well, two rings that were meant for me but I didn't even know that they existed....all I had to do was be receptive...and in the presence of my father and hold out my hand and receive what he was giving to me...it was his choice to give it to me....and then I was so very thankful....we have gifts for us that our Father wants to give to us....it is by grace that we get them..the key is being in His presence and receiving what He is so willing to give to us..

I think of my Grandmother often...I think I am a lot like her....I can sometimes sense her smiling at me..and can still remember like it was yesterday..driving over to her house and going in to see her...all by myself......

The impact she had on me is far reaching...she didn't really care about following the crowd..she was an original..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, Is Anybody Out There?

  Sometimes I wonder if there is even any interest in my blog anymore.  If anybody would read it if I wrote again.  Well, if you are out the...