Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Little Bit Crazy

I have always been fascinated by crazy quilts. They are made from seemingly random pieces of beautiful fabrics like silk and fine cottons..and then they are embroidered along the seams and other places to make it really a work of art. and they usually have a homely muslin foundation onto which all of it is sewn. I have collected and stashed away all manner of silk fabrics and other fabrics so that one day I can put together a beautiful crazy quilt. I have books on how to make one and magazine pictures from decades of drooling over them...I have tried to make the precisely cut kind of quilt but it just doesn't do it for me....I like the freedom represented in the crazy quilt....

 This morning I have been pondering all over the place and settled on this..I think the crazy quilt is a good representative of my life and who I am as a woman...
.
Bits and pieces have been put together into a seemingly random design but as a whole it is a thing of beauty...and when the embroidery is added to the seams to make them stronger and more decorative, it just enhances the beauty of the whole....we don't get life all cut out in precise little pieces and parts and all put together perfectly in a straight line with exact measurements that always match up to the piece before......this is the beauty of life...It is alive..it moves and breathes...sometimes it just looks plain CRAZY!..but it is all fitting together to make a wonderful, beautiful end product......we just have to keep on letting the Master Quilter fit the pieces together in a seemingly random way and trust Him that it will turn out as an original masterpiece..a work of art....one of a kind....a unique CRAZY QUILT....
 The quilt in these pictures was put together by My Grandmother Lewis.....I have looked for this quilt for years and when I found it when I went to Daddy's a few weeks ago, I actually let out a happy sound of excitement.....LOL

While redesigning my sewing room, I have been able to put all of my silks and other crazy quilt fabrics in one place...and I have quite a bit...no surprise there...hmmmm...THIS YEAR..I will start on my own crazy quilt....and realize that it represents my life..enjoying the journey but knowing that each day is just a part of the whole...every day is important but it is in the finishing that we reach our goal.....We should live in the NOW but be aware that each and every NOW adds up to a WHOLE....I want to finish WELL....I want the Whole to be a thing of beauty...lots of mistakes along the way.no perfection here....but all covered up by this beautiful embroidery and in the end, you can't even see the misses...just the sum of all the parts......

thank you reading along..and being a part of my crazy quilt life......wouldn't it be fun if we could all bring our own life quilt and have a quilt show??  so we could each appreciate the beauty and uniqueness of each other??
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, Is Anybody Out There?

  Sometimes I wonder if there is even any interest in my blog anymore.  If anybody would read it if I wrote again.  Well, if you are out the...